Bed bugs are big enough to be seen. They live around the cracks and crevices of mattresses , around head boards bedside tables,holes in the walls and inside electrical sockets, to name but a few places. They will also live behind curtains and any other little gap where they can hide until feeding time. They come out at night and they will feed on anybody who is lying in that bed. Sometimes, the first thing that people know about the problem are the blood spots on their sheets – then they will start itching. Bed bug bites cause irritation and distress and the constant scratching of these bites can lead to secondary infection. By the time people realize there is a problem, it will be quite bad. Bed bugs are NOT always confined to bedrooms. We have found them living in armchairs,and other pieces of furniture. Buying second hand furniture can bring the problem directly into your home, so be extra vigilant if considering buying second hand or even excepting furniture from a friend. It may have a problem !!
How to deal with Bed Bugs
To identify a bed bug infestation, check around the edges of the mattresses and the buttons, springs and head board for black marks. These are the bed bugs’ droppings.
“But unlike many other pests, bed bugs do not care if their accommodation is a grotty studio, or a €5,000,000 mansion – once in, they are very hard to eradicate by yourself.”People are disgusted when we identify that they have bedbugs! Emotions range from ….”how can they live here….the place is spotless” or “thats it…..throw everything away !!” Generally, there is no need to throw away good furniture or anything else ,for that matter. Let us do an inspection and appropriate treatment, to get things back to normal.
Treatment can involve two visits and a careful and regimented inspection of each room. Beds upside down,mattresses away from the bases, shaking curtains, moving wardrobes and in some cases, treating adjoining rooms. If a hotel room is infested, the accommodation on the next floor up and the floor below sometimes must be treated.
Bed bugs are a serious menace which should be taken seriously and dealt with by professionals. Timely control can prevent the spread of bed bugs and will be more effective than trying to contain it at a stage when everything is out of control. If you suspect that bedbugs are biting during the night, don´t hesitate to call ASAP before it gets worse. Bed bugs and Termites emit more carbon dioxide than other creatures, so with our latest ELECTRONIC ,CARBON DIOXIDE READING, BEDBUG DETECTION DEVICE, we can locate the clusters of insects ,even in the most difficult hideaways.
We make it our business to understand bed bugs which can infest not just beds but also skirting, electrical sockets and floorboards. We guarantee to stop these persistent insects in their tracks.
FACTS ABOUT BED BUGS
- Bed bugs are small insects that feed on human blood and are most active during the night when we are asleep.They can however, bite at any time of the day.
- A single adult bed bug can live for up to 18 months without feeding as they go into a dormant state.
- Bedbugs will crawl up to 30 metres for a blood meal
- Once feeding regularly, a female bed bug can lay up to 5 eggs in a day and up to 500 in an average 10 month lifespan.
- Bed bugs are transported from infested areas when they cling onto clothing, or crawl into luggage, furniture or bedding.
- Aircraft luggage holds are notorious for allowing bedbugs to transfer from case to case. Never unpack your case on a bed, and examine carefully for signs of life.
- Bedbugs ,although small, can be seen and are a reddish brown colour. They grow to the size of a grape seed.
- Bed bugs are exceptionally difficult to get rid of because they hide so well and don’t need to feed very often.
- Bed bugs mustn’t be confused with house dust mites who also live in our beds and mattresses but feed on shed human skin rather than blood.